Our thoughts on the future of digital innovation and the cloud.
5 Approaches to Application Modernization
This is the fourth post in a series of seven about Application Modernization. In today’s post, we will discuss various approaches that you can consider when modernizing your application environment.
Cloud application modernization can take many forms, depending on the specific needs and requirements of the application and organization. Here are a few examples of common modernization strategies:
- Lift and shift: This approach involves migrating an application from an on-premises data center to a cloud environment without making any major changes to the application itself. This can be a quick way to gain the benefits of cloud infrastructure, but may not fully leverage cloud-native capabilities.
- Refactoring: Refactoring involves making changes to an application’s code to make it more cloud-native. This can include re-architecting the application to take advantage of cloud services such as serverless computing (platform-as-a-service / PaaS), or rewriting certain components of the application to better integrate with cloud infrastructure.
- Containerization: Containerization involves packaging an application and its dependencies into a container image, which can then be deployed and run on any cloud infrastructure that supports containerization. This approach can make it easier to deploy and manage applications across multiple cloud environments.
- Microservices: Microservices architecture involves breaking down a monolithic application into smaller, independently deployable services that can be managed and scaled separately. This can make it easier to develop and maintain applications, as well as improve scalability and resiliency.
- Cloud-native development: Cloud-native development involves building applications from the ground up to take advantage of cloud-native capabilities. This can include leveraging containerization, microservices, and serverless computing, as well as using cloud-based development tools and frameworks.
Overall, the key to successful cloud application modernization is to choose the right approach based on the specific needs and requirements of the application and organization, and to execute the modernization process systematically and strategically.
If you are considering embarking on an Application Modernization initiative, Invero is here to help you to navigate the process and manage these risks for you as you embark on your application modernization journey. Through years of experience developing cloud native applications, refactoring and replatforming legacy applications, Invero has a track record of knowing how to navigate the risks and deliver a modernized application for its clients in a secure and cost effective manner.
Contact us today to learn more about our Application Modernization services.
- Application Modernization Assessment
- Proof of Concept Development
- Full Application Modernization